Baden-Württemberg & Stuttgart Region
WELCOME TO THE LAND OF INVENTORS AND THINKERS!
Baden-Württemberg lies in Southwest Germany and borders on France and Switzerland. Between them there's the Black Forest with its unspoilt nature and traditional customs. With its population of 11.1 million inhabitants, Baden-Württemberg is Germany's third-largest federal state.
The people of the region are known for their innovative ideas, inventive talent and hard work. With their creativity and ingenuity, knowledge and ability, and their active involvement in commerce, science and education, art and culture and society, they have made the southwest corner of Germany one of the most successful regions not only in Europe, but anywhere in the world.
The state capital of Stuttgart is the geographic, economic and political hub of the federal state of Baden-Württemberg. It is surrounded by vineyards and woodlands, and its numerous parks and green spaces are inviting places to linger. Stuttgart's special charm is defined by its vineyards. The city has a long tradition of wine growing.
The Stuttgart Region is known for its economic strength, as the cradle of the automobile, the home of countless global players and of innovative, medium-sized enterprises from the automobile and engineering sectors. It is one of the most important high-tech centres for mobility, aerospace, engineering, finance and green technology.
The people of Stuttgart are sociable and like to celebrate: hardly a month passes in the state capital without a big festival. The Spring Festival rings in the first warm days of the year. The Wine Festival celebrates the region's fine wines. The Stuttgart Beer Festival on the Cannstatter Wasen fairground attracts 4 million visitors to Stuttgart annually, as does the Christmas Market, which brings the year to a close with enticing aromas and a sea of lights.
Facts about the Stuttgart Region:
- Stuttgart is the capital of the high-tech federal state of Baden-Württemberg
- 2.8 million people from more than 170 nations live in the Stuttgart Region (25% of the population of Baden-Württemberg)
- 30% of Baden-Württemberg's GDP is produced in the Stuttgart Region
- Foremost European business location with an excellent reputation worldwide and a workforce of around 1.5 million
- Home to the corporate headquarters of many German and European companies (e.g. Daimler, Bosch, Porsche, Stihl, Kärcher, Festo, Trumpf, Ritter Sport, Märklin, IBM, HP, WMF, EY)
- Leads the field in research and development
- Companies in the Stuttgart Region invest 8.1 % of their GDP in research and development
- More patents are applied for in Baden-Württemberg than anywhere else in Germany (German Patent Office 2018)
- Enjoyment Region: 24 Michelin-starred restaurants and 42 million litres of wine produced each year
- Discovery Region: unique topography with lots of wonderful scenic lookouts, 68 castles and palaces and cultural offerings of world renown
- Stuttgart's Television Tower – the first of its kind in the world
- The second most prolific mineral springs in Europe